Ebola cases drop to lowest levels in months -WHO
The
three countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic have recorded their
lowest weekly number of new cases for months, according to the World
Health Organisation.
As
the global death toll reached 8,429 out of 21,296 cases reported so
far, Sierra Leone and Guinea both saw the lowest weekly total of
confirmed Ebola cases since August 2014.
Liberia, which reported two days with zero new cases last week, had its lowest weekly total since June, WHO said on Wednesday.
UN
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon previously said the epidemic could be
over by mid-2015 but WHO is now declining to set a specific timeline
after having been proved wrong on previous predictions.
“WHO
hopes Ebola ends as soon as possible in all three affected countries of
Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea,” Winnie Romeril, WHO
spokeswoman, told Associated Press news agency.
“WHO
is not predicting how soon Ebola will end as it would take every
community to use the facilities and resources available to them.”
She
said getting to zero cases will take time and effort that includes
immediate treatment of patients and dignified, safe burials of the dead.
Sierra Leone’s President Ernest Bai Koroma predicted this week that his country would be Ebola-free by WHO standards by May.
By WHO standards, a country cannot be declared Ebola-free until it has registered no cases for 42 consecutive days.

No comments:
Post a Comment